Monday, December 2, 2019

Gentle Succor

I spent the morning in a dentist's chair. It was an extended visit, affixing a temporary crown, and in two weeks, she'll affix the permanent crown.

Dental visits can be unpleasant, painful, or, at the very least, anxiety-ridden. At this office, I felt cared for as soon as I walked in the door. A heater was on in the cozy waiting room, an eclectic spread of magazines for early birds to browse, an offer of coffee, tea, or hot apple cider. But more than that, Donna greeted me warmly, by name, and we chatted about Thanksgiving and families and how had we both been since the last visit.

Then Colleen came out and ushered me back to the private room with all of the instruments and dental products and anxiety potential. I told her about the muscle spasms in my shoulder and neck, and she went and heated a lavender pillow for me. Jessica came in and took some notes, and we chatted a different Thanksgiving chat. The heated pillow arrived, Jessica lowered the chair, which had the healing side effect of elevating my feet. Colleen bibbed my neck with terry cloth, Jessica sunglassed my eyes against the bright lights, and they set about their work.

Cheese!
They checked in with me continuously, watched my face, patted my shoulder, and most of all, their gentle murmurings in their dental language, their four hands dancing an orchestrated ballet, wielding tools, ointments, and goo, their professional craftsmanship kept me soothed and safe for two solid hours. After the final biting down, they sat me up, gave me a warm, wet cloth for my perhaps-sprayed face, patted my back, and waved me, smilingly, on my way.

Probably no one enjoys trips to the dentist, but if you have to spend time with one, it's glorious when it's a gentle, soothing, professional, gifted group of caring people, whose main goal is to help you through it the best they can.

And my pearly whites are pearlier and happier than they've been in years.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Farming with a Trowel

I was about six years old when I started tending my first garden. Even then, I loved pulling away the chaotic weeds to make room for orderly...