Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Farm Logo

I've always loved our farm logo. Zach's dad designed it, and it's on all of our product labels, we have tee shirts, and it's scattered around the farm in various renditions. Zach's dad took the concept of an exploding seed ball. You make seed balls by taking all of your left over seeds and mixing them together with some clay and other stuff (I've not made any myself; thus the vagueness), then rolling the mess into marble-sized balls, and letting them dry thoroughly.

The thing about seed balls is that they contain the entire universe inside them. The mixture of seeds promises abundant, varied life, which gives shelter and sustenance to animals on the ground, in the air, and in the soil. Seed balls can change the planet or your back yard, whichever you happen to be working on.

Once you have a stash, you can throw them, scatter them, drop them from airplanes, spread them around. Since they're in a tight ball, no one will eat them over the winter, and come spring, all of those packed-together seeds will be ready to sprout and grow up together, an instant community of life.

So our farm logo shows that exploding energy, liberated from a seed ball. I find it enchanting.


We had decided, weeks and weeks ago, that we would paint the farm logo on the big, empty wall of our kitchen. We've been inching toward tackling the project, and even set up the projector to splash the logo up onto the wall, deciding where, how big, how high, getting it centered and level. But then my strained neck muscles took me out of the game, and the fact that we could only work on it at night, when the projected image was most visible, has delayed us for an entire week.

Last night, as the sun went down, I wondered whether my neck would allow me to start painting the logo. I decided that I wanted to give it another day of rest, and hopefully then I would be up to starting. But Dambara Tom Sawyered me. He set up the projector, busied himself with centering and leveling, and I got sucked in. I found the paint brushes, shook the paint can, and poured out a little container of bright coral paint.

Then we began. About ten minutes into the project, Parkle dropped by. He was out walking Barley and stopped to say hi. So we Tom Sawyered him. He happily picked up a brush, poured himself a little container of coral, and joined in our shadow game.

Transferring the logo
We talked about this and that, family news, travel plans, all the while dabbling away at the logo. Then it was time for Parkle to retrieve Barley and wander back home. Dambara and I dabbled a bit longer, and then called it a day.

There's plenty more to do, but we've started. Activation energy has been achieved, and we are on our way. What fun to add the explosion of a seed ball to our wall, with its immense potential for life and abundance. And what fun to invite others in, sharing creative time and telling stories together.

A beginning


What a wonderful world.

A blessing

4 comments:

  1. You've no doubt ensured that the projector will stay put for the duration of the project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope! We're successfully recalibrating it for each painting session. It's working out really well!

      Delete
  2. Btw great idea, using the projector. I probably would not have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The projector's image is disappointingly blurry. We've ended up using it only for space orientation, while actually painting the logo freehand, copying from a sharp, paper-printed image. It's working well, but is much slower than simply tracing. Little chunks at a time. As Lahiri Mahasaya said, "Doing, doing, doing, done."

    ReplyDelete

Farming with a Trowel

I was about six years old when I started tending my first garden. Even then, I loved pulling away the chaotic weeds to make room for orderly...