Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Doing, Doing, Doing, Done!

We had a great spot on our kitchen wall, a little too big for most, actually any, of our artwork, and we both love the Ananda Farm logo, so we decided we'd paint the logo up on the wall.

Dambara got a projector for our Macs, and the plan was to project a high resolution image of the logo onto the wall, and then we'd just trace it with the left over coral paint from when we painted the interior of the pantry. Zach and Hailey sent us the high res image, and project it we did.

However, the projector held nothing but disdain for high resolution. It was quite content with low resolution, visible pixels, blurry blurs.

Low resolution projector

The dent

So, the projected image shifted from template to merely a place holder, and the project switched from tracing to free-hand . . . detailed copying. After the first session, with help from the renowned Parkle Lee and ever-enthusiastic Dambara, we made a dent.





The second, third, and fourth sessions got us a bit further. 

 

It was a long process.

Years ago, years and years ago, I made two stained glass windows for a house that my brother was building. It took him two years to build his house. It took me, coincidentally, two years to make the first stained glass window.

They were big windows; 117 pieces of cut glass went into each window. They were designed to flank his front door, so were about six feet tall and two feet wide. They were a big undertaking for my budding talent as a stained-glass artist, but still . . . two years?

The second window came along, and I felt a greater sense of urgency to get it made. So, I tricked myself. I set a goal to go out to the garage every night and cut five pieces of glass. That was an extraordinarily reachable goal.

The second window took one month to build.

So, when it came to painting the farm logo on the wall and having it turn into a much bigger project than anticipated, I tricked myself again. I always fall for these tricks, no matter how many times I play them on myself. Instead of telling myself to get the logo painted, I casually suggested to myself that I do a little painting, only a few minutes. Inevitably, the few minutes would stretch into an hour or so, and low and behold, the logo got painted.

Doing, doing, doing, done.

Doing, doing, doing, 

Done!

Hurray!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! You're an amazing person. Were those stained glass works for your brother your first? What a wonderful intrinsic decoration for your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had done smaller stained glass projects, but Jim's windows were at least ten times larger and more difficult than anything I'd attempted before. They turned out beautiful, as all stained glass projects do.

    ReplyDelete

Farming with a Trowel

I was about six years old when I started tending my first garden. Even then, I loved pulling away the chaotic weeds to make room for orderly...