Friday, November 29, 2019

I Am Grateful for Computer Games

I kid you not.

Years ago, an inspiring TED Talk made the rounds, featuring Jane McGonigal and her convincing presentation about the many benefits of gaming to human kind.

If you, like me, have held computer games with some level of disdain, you might meet this statement with a grain of skepticism. But Ms. McGonigal speaks articulately from her own experience, and I can add my own thumbs up.

Of course, computer games are abused, as is alcohol, opioids, and sugar. But computer games have been profoundly beneficial to me, and probably to many, many, many others.

On those days when energy drains away, and I retreat to the bedroom to rest, usually for hours, the thing that has helped me maintain my sanity is a fun computer game. The game of choice has changed over time, as functionality declines or rises. The game just has to be mentally engaging, visually captivating, and peaceful. I avoid games that are warrior-centric.

Everything that Ms. McGonigal claims during her TED Talk seems to be true. At each level of the game, you are given the tools you'll need to succeed at that level, and clues about how to go about using them. You can tap into resources for help and guidance. Your success is measured by leveling up to the next plateau of difficulty. Computer games are fun and rewarding right from the start, and the good ones keep us engaged as we spend more time learning and playing.

The interesting thing to me is that our brains don't seem to know the difference between an electronic accomplishment and a physical one. If I harvest an electronic field of electronic beets, my brain feels just as rewarded as when I weed a flower bed. When I finish all of my electronic tasks and log off of the game, the sense of accomplishment gives me the same level of reward as drying the last dish and hanging up the towel.

When I am not capable of completing physical tasks, electronic tasks suffice. My brain is engaged, the screen is visually pleasing, and I can succeed. Cheerfulness and good humor can flourish, along with enthusiasm and anticipation for whatever tomorrow might bring.

That's powerful stuff.

That power is highlighted in Ms. McGonigal's subsequent TED Talk, describing an accidental, physical debilitation and how gaming was her savior. This talk is fabulous! She makes a convincing presentation, with a feel-good message. It's something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Farming with a Trowel

I was about six years old when I started tending my first garden. Even then, I loved pulling away the chaotic weeds to make room for orderly...